Thursday, June 21, 2007

Boozing and Breasts

Sounds like they go good together, doesn't it? Well, get your mind out of the gutter. Today when I was at the doctor she told me that she had read that drinking increases a woman's risk for breast cancer. So when I got home I looked it up. And there are quite a few sites that say that it has been proven. But then there is something else to think about: if drinking increases your risk by 30%, what exactly does that mean? As the same doctor also pointed out, if 1 in 1,000 are likely to die from something and then adding alcohol to the mix makes it 2 in 1,000, than it can be said adding alcohol doubles your risk. But really, do you think you are lucky enough to be that 2 in 1,000? So all these sites need to be put into perspective. Not too many have numbers, but then again, I didn't look too deep either. Maybe for now on this one I will claim ignorance and go have a beer. I hope my breasts don't mind.

No comments: