Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Always Doing Something

Funny how the more I do, the less I find time to write about it. I am now in Austria, staying with my host-family.

While I was still in the Netherlands, my friend there showed me around his town and told me about some of the history. I also made a day trip to Brussels, where I had the intentions of visiting a brewery, but it was closed, and when I asked around I was told all other breweries were far out of the city. So no brewery, but I did buy some fine Belgian Chocolates.

I have been in Austria since Saturday, I arrived after an 18 hour bus ride from the Netherlands. The most exciting part was some kid from Hungary getting arrested by German border patrol for trying to smuggle drugs. The rest of the time I pretended to be asleep while taking up two seats so no one would sit next to me. It worked, and I had plenty of space for the entire ride.

My German is going easier than I expected. It has been 10 years since I first came here with only two phrases, and already I feel like I am speaking the language better than the last time I came 3 years ago. I probably don't speak enough to get around entirely on my own, but with more practice I could definitely be there. If only I could drop the American accent, maybe it would be easier for people to understand what it is I am saying.

Of course I do have more pictures, but the internet connection is slow, so they'll have to wait once again. But, it'll give me a good reason to sit in front of a computer again later, as lately I have been avoiding them except for quick email checks, just to make sure I'm not missing anything important back home.

No comments: