Sunday, May 31, 2009

Last Day of School

Friday was my last day of school... As a teacher. My last day as a student was May 12, and on the 13th, I took over teaching a second grade class. I learned how to come up with things to do when lesson plans provided were inadequate for the amount of time I had in the day. When the lesson plans I was given ran out, I learned to come up with things to do that would keep 20 8-year-olds busy and be somewhat educational.

The class wrote auto-biographies, learned about fractions and multiplication, had a mini geography project, and even had a couple of PE sessions. Turns out with all the other stuff second graders are supposed to be learning, not many get out for regular PE. And they love PE. Our two and a half weeks together were fun for me, and by the end of it I was a little bummed I had already made travel arrangements before I was asked to take the job - otherwise I could have stayed with them next week too.

Tomorrow I fly to Seattle. I need to go through my things that are in storage in my Grandma's basement and decide what is worth shipping to Hawaii, and then figure out what to do with the rest of it. Hopefully I'll have time for a small garage sale - the cash will be useful for shipping. And then: summer adventure begins!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Have a safe and fun trip. Aloha.

The Weird Teacher said...

My baby was an awesome teacher! I get to see you in a week. Yay!