Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Poke and Plate Lunches

So I have made it to Hawaii, and the plane ride wasn't all bad. The food was good (and yes, it was included) and I sat next to a guy who was friendly to chat with. I expected to be a bit tired after a 6 hour flight, but when I stepped off the plane I felt really good. Must have been that rush of warm, humid air after coming from a place that was pouring down rain on the way to the airport.

My friend picked me up at the airport and we stopped at the NEX on the way back to her place. Not a place she gets to go on her own, but since I have my military ID still I could get us in. It was there that I saw Poke (Poke-ee) for the first time, and she said I had to try it. Turns out the stuff is good. Raw tuna mixed with onions, seaseme seeds, and seaweed (a variety I've never seen before). Being a sushi fan I had no problems with the raw factor, but I can honestly say that is the first time I have eaten THAT much raw fish in one sitting. And it was a good mixture to fry up the next day, after we figured it was too old to eat raw.

On Monday we went up a walk (steep enough to be a hike maybe, but it was paved) where we could see other islands off in the distance. On the way back we stopped at a shack for plate lunches. I tried Mahi, some kind of white fish, and it was just as good. Cheap too, considering that it was fish and how much food I got. I even ordered the mini plate, the "child's size." It was more than enough.

No swimming yet, but I did get up to the North Shore where the waves were pretty big yesterday. I'm told they get bigger, but it was a calm day. We wanted to take the dog for a walk or a short hike, but all the signs we saw said no animals, so we made it just a ride. Next time we'll look and see where we can take the dog before loading her in the car.

Off for another day of living a life in Hawaii. Having a good time so far and I imagine that will stay the same for the next few days.

1 comment:

alw_ays said...

We miss you and are happy you are having a good time.

All we can think of to say is EAT SEAFOOD. It's good there.

: ) Love from all of us
The Hartter Clan